Monday, August 15, 2011

Teaser: The Most Amazing Breakfast I've Ever Had In My Whole Memory of Life

Well, in my opinion anyway. I don't know if I was monstrously hungry this morning...but I did know that I've been craving peanut butter for a very long time. And bananas. And French toast. And mmm maple syrup...so I combined everything together.

I think in my previous life I was Elvis Presley, or his greatest fan who worshiped his every move and habit, because to me, bananas taste the best slathered with peanut butter. And peanut butter toast tastes a lot better with a drizzle of maple syrup than in a sandwich with jelly. Am I messed up!?

So I call this...The ElvisCristo French Toast! Do you get it? Cause it's like a MonteCristo sort of, because it's like a sandwich that is egg dipped and fried on the griddle like a MonteCristo except instead of ham and cheese, it has peanut butter and bananas. Just like how Elvis would like it. And it's a French toast because you eat it with maple syrup.

There is no picture because I devoured it in a minute flat, but if I do make this again (definitely will) and I have the patience to take a picture with my crappy digital camera, I shall post it on here. Mmm I want another one. For lunch and dinner. And tomorrow's breakfast too...but I'll try to resist the urge. Here's the recipe, super easy, super indulgent, and it'll make you feel like a rockstar. I'm serious. I really wanted to just get up on my table and jam with my air guitar. Okay that wasn't funny.

The ElvisCristo French Toast serves 1 (but in all honestly, I could probably eat 2 or 3..)
  • 2 slices of sturdy white French bread (that's the standard, but I used Light Rye...works perfectly)
  • 2 tbsp peanut butter (more or less, if you know what I mean...)
  • 1/2 banana, sliced
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • powdered sugar and maple syrup to serve
  • margarine for the griddle, or butter-flavored non-stick cooking spray
Heat griddle or fry pan over med-high heat, and grease with margarine or spray with cooking spray.

Spread peanut butter on both slices of bread, and lay the banana slices on one bread slice, and place the other slice over top, to make a Peanut Butter Banana Sandwich.

In a shallow dish, beat egg with milk, sugar, and cinnamon. Being careful not to let the sandwich fall apart, dip both sides of sandwich in egg mixture and fry on griddle, about 1-2 mins on each side until golden.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar and drizzle with maple syrup to serve.

*Note* If you do not like bananas, this recipe would work great as a Peanut Butter Apple Slice combo too, since that's a popular sandwich type too! Granny smith or any crisp tart apple would work great. :)

P.S. My brain right now is having a funky brain-blast where it's taking me to many different possibilities of this breakfast idea...
Peanut Butter Apple Sandwich French Toast?! PB & J FRENCH TOAST?! PB AND NUTELLA FRENCH TOAST?! Really, the possibilities are endless.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary! It's JenJen! Everything on your site looks delicious! I might be coming over tomorrow with Lulu tomorrow so FOOD :D Jk Jk only make cupcakes if you please.

    ReplyDelete