Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Homemade LÄRABARS




When I made a trip to Save-on-Foods yesterday morning, in hopes of avoiding a coffee run at Starbucks (to save me some moola) I ended up spending more than $8. Why? Because a display of Larabars at the pharmacy caught my eye, and I just had to try three different flavors. Wasn't planning on inhaling all three (I'm pretty sure that's not good for you) but that's what happened on my walk to school.

I was comforted by the ingredients though; all-natural, wholesome, purchasable ingredients. Some only had 3 or 4; all were date-based, with raw nuts, and chocolate or other types of dried fruit or seeds. I could understand why exercise fanatics and yoga gurus enjoyed these bars, but hell, why were they so expensive? They were about $2.50 a piece at Save-on-Foods, this couldn't be justified! On my way back home, I stopped by again at Save-On and brought home some bulk dates and raw cashews, searched up some recipes at home, and welcomed this Homemade Larabar into the world! It's so easy to make and so delicious, extra-chocolately too for me ;)! I'm never going to pay that much for an energy bar again.

There are two flavors I made; chocolate chip cookie dough and peanut butter cookie. I didn't take a picture of the peanut butter one but the recipe is down below as well!

They make great lunch-mates and friendly gifts for that on-the-go exercise fanatic ;) *hint- if someone were kind enough to make ME some Larabars...I'd keel over in happiness*

Enjoy!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Larabar makes 10 Larabars
  • 1 lb pitted prunes, about 3 1/2 cups
  • 1 cup raw cashews (other nuts such as almonds or walnuts work too)
  • 1/3 cup chocolate chips
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Line an 8x8" baking dish with parchment paper.

In a food processor, grind the nuts into a coarse meal. Put in a medium bowl and set aside. Using a food processor, pulse the dates (you will know when it is ready because it will form a ball inside your food processor). Add dates to the ground nuts, and add rest of ingredients.

Using your hands, mix dates with nuts and other ingredients well. (You will get your hands super sticky!) Press mixture into prepared pan, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Remove the "LARABAR" from the pan (with parchment paper) and place on cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut into 10 bars (1 cut down the centre of square and 5 cuts across to make 10) or desired amount. Wrap individually with parchment paper or plastic wrap. ENJOY!

Peanut Butter Cookie Larabar
  • 1 cup pitted prunes
  • 6 tbsp smooth or crunchy peanut butter
  • 1 1/2 cups roasted peanuts
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Same procedure as above! Grind nuts, grind prunes...add prunes to nuts along with peanut butter, vanilla extract, and salt! These ones are my favourite so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment