Sunday, August 7, 2011

Carrot Oatmeal Muffins (Low Fat)



Good morning! :)

Since I'm on my last-two-weeks diet before Hawaii crunch (haw-haw we'll see how that goes), I decided to post another low-fat recipe! It prides me to say that these muffins can taste just as amazing with low-fat substitutions, and that you don't need those oily jumbo versions from the grocery store! The applesauce and shredded carrots in these muffins keep them so nice and moist. I've included some optional toppings in the recipe below. I chose the 'sweet & crunchy oat topping'!

The raisins are optional, and if you'd like you can even substitute with chopped walnuts. Yum!

Carrot Oatmeal Muffins (Low Fat) makes 12 muffins
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp grated ginger
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup skim milk
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 tbsp + 1 tsp applesauce
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • 1/2 cup raisins (optional) or 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, egg, applesauce, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Pour over dry ingredients.

Sprinkle carrot and raisins or walnuts (if using) and stir with a wooden spoon until batter is just moistened (don't overmix!) Spoon into muffin cups (approximately 1/4 cup each) and sprinkle your choice of topping (listed below) if desired. Bake for 20 minutes until firm. Cool in its tins for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling racks.

Sweet & Crunchy Oat Topping
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
Mix together in bowl and sprinkle on top of muffins before baking.


Crunchy-Cinnamon Topping
  • 2 tbsp granulated sugar
  • pinch of cinnamon
Mix together in bowl and sprinkle on top of muffins before baking.

Orange Glaze Topping
  • 3/4 cup icing sugar
  • 2 tbsp orange juice
Mix together in bowl and drizzle on top of muffins after they are done baking and completely cooled.

2 comments:

  1. Every time I read these posts I get this sudden rush of reaaaaallly mad hunger, and it usually ends up with me getting up to make myself a bowl of cereal. Reading your recipes for low-fat baked goods has caused my sudden gain in weight :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Oh my gosh you made me laugh. Hey hey, there's such thing as low-fat cereal! ;)

    ReplyDelete