Monday, August 29, 2011

Blogging from Honolulu- Leonard's Bakery

Aloha! I've been missing baking so much! :( I'm on vacation in Honolulu, currently staying with my aunt, and it's too hot to turn on the oven! There's not much bakeware or a mixer either! I have some recipes coming up though, I think! She's been wanting me to bake her something. :P

In the meantime, I'll blog about this all-famous Leonard's Bakery that they have here.
Every time we drive by, there's a line up that floods the outside patio all around the parking lot. "What's the big deal?" I thought. And after some research and a visit, I can definitely understand why this bakery stands out on the Hawaiian islands!
Leonard's has been up since July 1 1952, and it's a real authentic bakery! The story is that in June 1882, Arsenio and Amelia DoRego sailed into Maui from Portugal to work in the sugar cane fields. Their grandson, Leonard, moved to Honolulu with his wife and opened a bakery!

The bakery is known for their Malasadas, originally Portuguese, but the islanders have adopted it as the "Hawaiian Donut". It is sort of like a Tim-Bit, but a lot bigger and a thousand times better! It was so hot, fluffy, and soft... They make it constantly throughout the day, which is why people line up to get their's nice and fresh, right out of the fryer! This is the original sugar Malasada, one of their two originals (plain sugar and cinnamon sugar)

They are a little bit smaller than fist! I don't think I'll enjoy any other American donut after this. Since their two original flavors, they started a line of custard/cream filled Malasadas, such as chocolate, custard, or haupia, kind of like a coconut cream. That's what I got:
So good!

The bakery also has many other kinds of pastries, cakes, and breads. I kind of liked the rustic, home-made look of their goodies! Felt and tasted like home baking! :)

Hopefully I'll get to visit again soon!! And I've got a recipe (hopefully) coming up so stay tuned! Enjoy the rest of your summers! (Can you believe it's almost over?! *cries*)

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment