Friday, September 30, 2011

Vegan Day 1: Strawberry Banana Pancakes




Happy October everyone!

Today is the first day of my 31 days as an experimental vegan! New beginnings and habits means jump-starting everything into gear! I went for the regular 4.5 km run around the lake first thing this morning, and then went swimming after breakfast! Felt awesome!

So before we officially kick-start this 12-month journey, let's look at some physical statistics concerning mon corps :$ (saying it in another language is supposed to make it less embarrassing...)

Mary- October 1, 2011
Height: 5'4
Weight: 107.6 lbs
Classified: Active
BMI (Body Mass Index): 18.47
RDI (Recommended Daily Intake): 2100 cal
Average Daily Intake: 1200-1400 cal

Details:
The ideal weight for a female my age and body figure is 117 lbs.
At the beginning of summer, I weighed 122 lbs. Through exercise and eating well, I dropped my weight to 105 lbs. At this time however, I started experiencing some health problems! Being underweight gave me regular nausea, fatigue, and lightheadedness, so I was told to stop running and exercising for a while, and to try to regain some weight! I gained 2 lbs while vacationing in Hawaii :D

Okay now that's OVER and DONE with, let's get back to pancakes! I had originally wanted to start off my day with a seasonal pancake recipe, like a sweet maple-pumpkin but summer was on my mind and this recipe just seemed too good to pass up. This is an adapted version of a recipe from ChocolateCoveredKatie.

I just love the combination of Strawberry Banana, and it's a genius idea to have it in a pancake! You can easily change it to a 'Blueberry Pie' version- just sub for blueberries, and add 1/2 tsp of cinnamon! I used thawed frozen berries and it turned out fine!

The recipe below is single-serving but you can easily double/triple/quadruple it for your whole family! :)

Strawberry Banana Pancakes serves 1 person!
  • 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
  • 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 tbsp rolled oats
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp sugar or sweetener (optional)
  • 1/3 cup nondairy milk
  • 1/2 cup banana, mashed
Combine all ingredients except strawberries together in a bowl. Pour a spoonful of batter on a slightly oiled pan over med heat, plop some strawberries on top and cook. Flip the pancake when you see bubbles.



No comments:

Post a Comment