Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Yes, you can eat a bowl of cookie dough! Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip= Heaven.

Oh sweet mother of pearl...

Hey! Long time no blog, hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! I had a rather busy one cause there was lots of homework for me to do! I'm still catching up in school after missing two full days at a retreat...

For the next few days I'll be posting some old recipes (by old, I mean I had them planned out for blogging but never got around to doing it) from last week because I'm off food for the next 2 days! What!? You're not eating?!

Nope!

Are you crazy!?

Nope! Well maybe just a little, but right now I'm just about completing my 30th hour without food because I am doing a 80 hour juice-detox. Sounds a little nuts, but I'm doing it in hopes of restarting my system a bit after this hectic long weekend. I haven't been eating TOO well for the last 2 weeks, and this long weekend just totally put my body in shock. So much food! Like, all the time! At strange times! At unworldly intervals! Basically, I've just been feeling sluggish and really weighed down so it's time to restart on a clean slate. What is a juice detox? Some people call it juice fasting, others call it juice feasting...but I don't really think I'm doing either. I just drink fruit and veggie juices in lieu of my meals, and when I feel hungry... It's not quite starving yourself because you are still getting nutrients from the juice, but the whole point of the detox is that your body is not spending energy breaking down food fibers and metabolizing foods, but using that energy someplace else, such as detoxifying! A juice fast/detox is followed by a period where I will slowly regain a stability by eating raw and minimally processed foods. I started yesterday evening at 5:00! Today was a bit hard, but it's always the first day that's the most painful. I'm not feeling hungry at all right now, although my body is fatigued.

Anyways! I need to tell you about this FANTASTIC recipe. Yes, I know you're probably wondering "Why on earth would you eat a bowl of cookie dough!?" well I ask you, "Why wouldn't you?!" It's absolutely delicious, but I didn't dare use the "H" word in my title to scare all of you away (the H word being Healthy). Honestly, how can eating chocolate chip cookie dough be possibly healthy!? You're about to find out!!

This recipe is from Chocolate Covered Katie, my new FAVOURITE blog EVER. It's a vegan dessert blog, but here's the catch, everything she makes is HEALTHY (there's a difference between low fat, sugar-free, reduced-calorie and HEALTHY) and although I'm always skeptical at first to try the daring recipes, they are SO delicious!!!!!

This cookie dough is meant to just be eaten by spoonfuls- I did just that, but also threw in a plateful of pretzels to use as a cookie dough dip! So yummy! It works well with all kinds of fruits too like apples or strawberries. It's great for the kids! Everyone loved them at our Thanksgiving dinner! What's in the cookie dough? Obviously not raw eggs or flour, but what makes it healthy and gives it that gooey cookie dough foundation are chickpeas. I know, but PLEASE take this with an open mind and if you have a can of chickpeas at home PLEASE try this recipe! You will not be disappointed! You can't taste the chickpeas at all, they are such neutral-flavoured beans, but it gives it just the perfect cookie dough texture! All you need is a food processor or blender!

Beans are actually my favourite things to bake with right now, when I want to make something sweet but healthy. I've used chickpeas in baking blondies, snickerdoodle bars, and brownies so far! The results are flawless! :) So go ahead! Make the cookie dough, and check out CCK's blog for other variations such as Brownie Batter Dip, or Snickerdoodle Dip.



:D

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip
  • 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 cup nut butter (I used peanut butter)
  • up to 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (start with adding 1 tbsp at a time, until desired consistency)
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar (you can get away with subbing a part of this with sweeteners or Splenda)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda (I omitted this)
  • pinch salt
  • 1/4 cup oats (optional, but so good with it!)
  • 1/3 cup chocolate chips (vegan chocolate chips if you are vegan...)
Add everything except chocolate chips into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, adding the milk by the tablespoonful until you have a desired thickness. Blend until chickpeas become a smooth mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. There you go! Now, don't say I didn't warn you- try not to eat the whole bowl!

What are some other ways of eating this? Why not spread it on toast for breakfast? Blend it with soymilk (or regular) for a cookie batter milk shake? Sandwiching it between cookies? Crackers? There are so many ways but seriously, do what I did first- just eat it by the spoonful...

No comments:

Post a Comment