Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Strawberry Banana Breakfast Smoothie


How's everyone's day so far? Today's kind of chilly for end-of-July weather, so what I like to do is go to the gym and then enjoy a relaxing lounge at the library, which is where I am right now!

This recipe is a staple in my house, I'm a huge believer of all-things-breakfast, and for me it's my favourite meal of the day! Beware future husband and kids- if I were to do the cooking everyday, you'd be having omelets for lunch and French toast for dinner, so you better like breakfast as much as I do! Too bad my own mother doesn't approve.

When you're on the go, don't skimp out on breakfast, it's the worst thing you can do to start your day. None of that flimsy granola bar and grab & go coffee stuff. Make something nutritious like a fruit smoothie! It's quick and simple- I usually take mine to go with me in my cold cup (you can get them at Home outfitters, Chapters, or any kitchen store for $5-10).

This recipe is sweetened by the vanilla soy and extra-ripe banana; if you are looking for something sweeter, you can add a touch of honey to your blend!

Strawberry Banana Breakfast Smoothie makes 2 servings
  • 1 cup frozen strawberries
  • 1 extra-ripe banana
  • 1/4 cup nonfat Greek-style yogurt (I like Fage Greek but you can use nonfat plain too)
  • 1 cup vanilla soy milk (or skim milk)
  • 5 ice cubes
  • 1 tbsp honey (optional)
Slice your bananas into your blender, and add everything else. Give it a quick stir and blend until smooth. You can enjoy this smoothie after a visit to the gym!

per serving: 144 calories, 0.5 g fat, 28 g carbohydrates, 11 g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment