Monday, July 25, 2011

Cheerio Dream Bars


You know when you go through different phases, and there's that ONE thing that you're constantly craving and eating? For me, it's been Cheerios for about 2 weeks now. Well, cereal, in general, but Cheerios are a definite favourite in my pantry right now. What's not to love about these sweet nutty O's? Even the name alone makes me feel cheery eating them. I have so many Cheerio recipes bookmarked on my computer right now; Cheerio Oat Cookies, Cheerio fruit smoothies, Cheerio granola bars...this one is a twist on the classic "Rice Krispie Squares" but I decided to name it Cheerio Dream Bars, kind of after the "Rice Krispie Squares" from Starbucks. Also, I've adapted this recipe so I could use some Peanut Butter (another all-time favourite thing). Cheerios and Peanut butter for on-the-go?! I must be dreaming!

These sweet and sticky bars are awesome with a cup of coffee or tea, or as a snack in the day. With just 80 calories per bar, there's no guilt! (Unless in my case, where you eat five by 'accident', then you've made a boo-boo)

Cheerio Dream Bars Makes 24 bars
  • 3 tbsp Becel's 64% Less Fat Margarine (or margarine)
  • 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
  • 6 cups miniature marshmallows
  • 6 cups Cheerios
Melt margarine and peanut butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add marshmallows and melt together with butter, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in Cheerios. Press into a 13"x9" pan (greased lightly or lined with parchment paper) and press down with a potato masher or bottom of a heavy glass (it helps if you spray the bottom with some cooking spray to prevent sticking). Cool for 15 minutes and cut into squares.

Notes: I used Honey Nut Cheerios which results in a much sweeter bar. The original recipe calls for the regular yellow box Cheerios. You can even use multi-grain, Banana Oat, or their new Chocolate Cheerios for a Chocolate peanut butter version! Yum!

You can omit peanut butter to make regular Cheerio Marshmallow bars, just decrease the Cheerios to 5 cups!

2 comments: